Have you wondered anytime if you suddenly feel happy for no reason? There is this feeling which makes you think that ‘today is the perfect day’. This is due to the different types of hormones secreted in your body. Hormones are chemical substances that have various functions like relieve pain, induce sleep, or even send signals to make sex. Even your daily food habits can impact hormones and influence happiness. These different types of hormones act as messengers to organs taking responsibility around the key functioning of our bodies like growth, happiness, creativity, relationships, sexuality, sleep, etc.
Hormones, for instance, can enhance mood, happiness, help you reduce weight, or perhaps make you addicted. Based on the secretion levels, they can have both positive as well as a negative impact on your body and behavior.
Classification of Hormones
Hence, it is essential to understand their classification and what are happiness hormones, sad hormones, the hormone for sleep, or even love hormone.
There is 3 primary classification of hormones:
- Amines – simpler molecules that carry information.
- Proteins and Peptides – essentially made up of amino acids.
- Steroids – these types of hormones are extracted from our body fat or cholesterol.
These days people are more prone to mental disorders such as depression and anxiety. Sadly, 300 million people worldwide suffer from depression. Among which 16 million alone contribute to the US adult population.
What Are Mood Swings?
You must have been familiar with the term mood swing. It is nothing but an abrupt change in the state of mind. So mood swing doesn’t necessarily mean that you will become sad.
But sometimes mood swings alter your mind to a happy state altogether for no reason. In our daily lives, we tend to be happy, sad, annoyed, tired, or even sleepy at a given moment naturally.
But what’s the science behind hormones? How can hormones influence your health and happiness on a daily basis?
Sometimes you notice that you are feeling good with no specific external factor impacting it. And some days, you feel that you are the dumbest person on this planet, where your confidence levels hit rock bottom, and you feel depressed all day long.
Behind all these emotions you feel are hormones working hard in your body.
What Are Hormones Made Of?
Hormones are chemical substances that carry information to our cells in the bloodstream. Secreted by the endocrine glands, these hormones are mainly made of chemical substances and are released in different parts of our bodies.
They have a direct impact on your mental state of mind.
Hormones play a vital role in controlling your mood, sleep pattern, sexuality, and aging. On the downside, an imbalance in the secretion of hormones can lead to stress, depression, and anxiety.
If hormones are so crucial in our day-to-day life, can we take control of them? Yes, you can!
The best way to manage your hormones is to embrace balanced-diet and healthy habits.
For instance, a hug from your loved one can make you generate oxytocin that makes you feel good and happy. So, let’s discover how hormones can influence you daily and how to control your hormones and what are the natural ways to increase/decrease these hormones in your body.
Why not take control of your well being. Seize the day, my friend!
Let’s have a look at the different types of hormones and their role in our day to day lives.
Different Types of Hormones And Their Functions
1. Serotonin – Happiness Hormone
One of the well-known types of hormone is serotonin. Found majorly in the intestine, this hormone enhances your mood and triggers the feeling-good factor. Won’t you be glad to know how to control serotonin hormone?
Happiness Hormone Foods
Certain foods abundantly contain happiness hormones i.e. serotonin. Here are some happiness hormone foods:
- plum, etc.
Studies reveal that serotonin is also generated by Vitamin D, which is highly synthesized by exposure to sunlight. This fact can be evidently seen among people who live in colder countries, where winter makes people dull and depressed.
Whereas during summers, everyone is happy and excited all round the clock. Seratonin is also known to help you multitask.
How to Increase Serotonin?
Here are 5 simple tips to increase happiness hormones with food and other activities:
- Make sure you eat protein, omega, and minerals regularly. These are important happiness hormone foods.
- Take a walk and exercise.
- Try to get as much sunlight as possible and keep your serotonin levels up. You can also include vitamin D supplements if you cannot catch enough of the sun.
- Spend some time with your loved ones. Also, enjoy a laugh with your friends.
- Cook your favorite meal, listen to your favorite music as well as watch your favorite TV show.
2. Oxytocin – Type of Hormone for Cuddle/Love
This type of hormone is generated by the physical touch, primarily by a loved one or even a friend. Most of us feel like butterflies in the belly, when we talk/touch our crush. It is this hormone playing music in the background.
Oxytocin also induces the feeling of trust, love, and compassion. The next time you find yourself crying while watching a movie, remember it is this hormone to blame. Studies state that increased levels of oxytocin also aids in weight loss.
The decrease in levels of oxytocin leads to depression and social anxiety. It also participates in controlling sexual desires.
This fact signifies that to stay committed in a relationship, you need reasonable levels of this hormone in your body. Unlike other hormones, oxytocin isn’t found abundantly in foods. It is any emotional well being that releases this hormone.
A study done by the University of North Carolina found that hugging for 20 seconds releases Oxytocin, a “bonding” hormone, and reduced blood pressure, which cuts the risk of heart disease. Greater partner support is linked to higher oxytocin levels for both men and women.
So try to have honest relationships, care, laugh, hug! That’s the secret ingredient for a wellness recipe.
How To Increase Oxytocin?
Hug as much as you can. Researchers state that hugs from loved ones play a significant role in good health, both mental and physical. Also, massage helps your body release enormous oxytocin. So get a spa for yourself today!
3. Dopamine – Type of Hormone for Creativity
Dopamine is a well-known hormone for its trait for inducing addiction. It is generated while gambling as well as while using social media. It is this hormone that makes you chat online with some random stranger even without realizing that it’s time to hit the bed.
Dopamine is not utterly a bad guy. This hormone also has another side. If you notice clearly, alcohol, gaming, or social media aren’t bad for health. It is the excessive consumption of these things that bring the adverse effect.
When found in desired levels, dopamine makes you feel driven, motivated, and creative. It plays a significant role in cognitive function, stimulates attention, memory, and learning.
So you better have this hormone at an ideal level in your body. Dopamine is released in the middle regions of the brain and sends signals to nerve cells.
Foods With Dopamine
Foods for creativity contain lots of dopamine. Here are some examples of such foods:
- and beans
How To Maintain Dopamine?
- Dopamine is extensively found in alcohols especially beer.
- Chocolates and caffeine are also other players with lots of dopamine.
- Additionally, maintain a balanced diet of these substances to make your brain not go mad and behave addicted.
- Exercise often. As per a study, a 30-minute session of moderate-intensity treadmill running did not produce an increase in dopamine levels in adults.
- Start following an anti-inflammatory diet.
- Meditate. This will help you clear your mind.
- Set small goals and adapt to stress better.
4. Melatonin – Type of Hormone for Sleep
Melatonin is the hormone for sleep. Your body generates tons of it, while you’re sleeping.
The National Sleep Foundation recommends 7–9 hours of sleep every night for optimal health for adults, along with proper sleep hygiene.
Sleep is an essential aspect of healthy living. A consistent sleep pattern is highly recommended. So technically how does melatonin hormone affect your sleep?
Melatonin has a direct relationship with darkness. This hormone is secreted when you are in the dark. And this hormone for sleep is also responsible for making you fall asleep.
The secretion of melatonin is at its peak at 2.am. Ideally, this is when you are in the middle of the sleep cycle.
Researchers had found that the secretion of melatonin is drastically decreased when people used any light-emitting devices while or before hitting the bed.
The best example is using your mobile phones before sleeping. This habit is a definite NO! NO! if you want your body releases good levels of melatonin.
Researchers say one week of camping without devices resets our biological body clock for those who have trouble sleeping and synchronizes our melatonin hormones with sunrise and sunset.
Decreased amounts of melatonin can lead to stress, depression, or even cancer. So take it seriously and make sure you get quality sleep of at least 7 to 8 hours every day. Cherries contain lots of melatonin.
How To Help Our Body Generate Increased Levels Of Melatonin?
- Sleep in a dark environment with a seldom light source. Additionally, a dimly lit bedroom is important.
- Stay away from gadgets that emit a blue screen light. They include all sorts of mobile phones, iPad, computers/laptops, etc.
- Eat Melatonin-Rich Foods especially before going to bed.
- Try to get some sunlight in the morning.
- Practice some yoga before going to bed. The corpse pose (Savasana), is a great way to relax. Meditation before going to sleep can also work wonders.
- Avoid caffeine during the day. Drink water instead.
- Take a warm bath especially before sleeping. Use lavender products.
- Following these good sleeping habits can also help you in the long run.
As per Dr. Rob Carter III and Dr. Kirti Salwe Carter, Smelling lavender oil for 10 to 15 minutes before rest has been shown to enhance sleep quality and influence melatonin through the nervous system.
5. Endorphins – Pain Relievers
This is one of the most popularly known types of hormones. These are hormones released in our brain by severe physical activity and sex. These hormones act as a reward system for our brains.
Endorphins are commonly known to influence the so-called ‘runners-high.’
It is a state of mind, with a sense of positivity and the feel-good factor that runners experience after a massive run. After a certain point of running, these hormones reduce the perception of pain and hence act as a natural pain and stress busters. The same applies to sex too.
Swimming, bathing in cold water, sauna, etc. also generate endorphins. Well, you now know how to increase levels of endorphins in your body?
Here are 5 reasons why endorphins are so important:
- Reduce pain.
- Help in treating trauma and surgery
- Fight anxiety and depression.
- Boosts self-esteem.
- It helps in improving sleep.
6. Adrenaline – Type of Hormone for Adventure
The last on the types of hormone list is adrenaline. The adrenal glands secrete a chemical/hormone called adrenaline or endorphins. They have several physiological impacts including blood sugar balance, brain health, immune system, and thyroid function, etc. So, it’s worth understanding this hormone better.
Facing danger naturally generates adrenaline. The hormone is secreted in response to flight-fight mode, where the brain and the body either need to fight the threat or flee.
Symptoms of such situations are when you sweat, feel fear and the stress to combat the danger in front of you. Your heart starts pumping blood at a rapid rate. So adrenaline sends signals to push more blood towards blood canals routing to the heart and lungs.
When skydiver Joan Murray’s main parachute and backup parachute failed, she approached the ground at 130 kilometers per hour, landing on a mound of fire ants. Doctors believe that the shock of being stung over 200 times by the ants released a surge of adrenaline, which kept her heart beating. – Source
Adrenaline stimulates your brain and makes you decide and act efficiently. It increases your focus so much you are not aware of the pain while escaping the danger.
Often commonly referred to as “Adrenaline Rush.”
Vitamins C and B foods support the function of the adrenal glands.
Include foods like:
- leafy greens,
- and legumes in your regular diet.
To conclude, take advantage of these facts on how hormones influence your mind and body. Stay healthy and never forget to have fun!!
Key Takeaways On Influence Of Different Hormones On Our Life
- Hormones have a direct impact on your mental state of mind.
- Certain foods like nuts, pineapple, salmon, eggs, cheese, chocolates, etc. have a great influence on our happiness hormones.
- Endorphine hormone act as a natural pain and stress busters.
- Decreased amounts of melatonin (sleep hormones) can lead to stress, depression, or even cancer.
- Similarly, increased levels of oxytocin (love hormones) also aid in weight loss.
- Vitamin consumption can help to maintain the hormonal balance and keep you healthy and happy.
Do not hesitate to leave behind your thoughts. We love to hear from you. Also, hit subscribe to stay tuned with us for our newsletter.
Subscribe with us for more such useful articles. To stay tuned with us, you can also follow our social media channels.