Health is the most critical asset anyone can possess. Health at the workplace is becoming a rising issue these days. By promoting healthy mental and physical health at the workplace, you are creating a safe workplace for your employees. If you are looking for amazing wellness ideas and tips for your workplace, you are in the right place. Read on!
According to CDC 32.8%, women above 20 years of age have hypertension. But today most of us merely forget about it while we are engrossed in our work.
According to HuffPost, an individual spends 13 years at work on an average. Among which you’ll spend 11 years of screen time.
So if you want to live a healthy lifestyle, you need to embrace healthy habits in the workplace too, apart from home.
You spend a significant part of the day at work, thus making resolutions about what you would do when you come back from work and during the weekend would not count as a healthy lifestyle. All those office-treats and after hour happy hours are just another excuse.
The choices that you make throughout the day while at work are what matters. Consider some healthy office habits and wellness tips to maintain a healthy mind and body in the long run. And, encourage your teammates to join you in building healthy habits at work.
10 Ways To Build Healthier Habits At Work
Here are 10 amazing wellness tips and ideas to help you build healthier habits at the workplace.
1. To Maintain Good Health at the Workplace, Go for Water Every Hour
We practically need to remind ourselves to drink plenty of water. Hydrating ourselves is a great way to maintain your overall health. Rather than picking a can of soda, pick a water bottle.
According to CBS reports 75% of the American population do not drink enough water and is in the state of being dehydrated.
The human body requires more water during the day than during the night.
So staying hydrated is one of the critical healthy habits you must build at your workplace. Water is to the human body, as oil is to the machinery. Be committed to taking plenty of water. It will help curb your afternoon cravings, headaches and general lethargy.
Whereas staying hydrated also aids in losing weight, lighten up your mood and proper functioning of the brain. Hence, choose water and good health at the workplace.
2. Always Start With a Healthy and Filling Breakfast
Most of us opt for a readymade sandwich and a coffee while on the way to work. While this may be the most convenient option, you miss providing vitamins and minerals your body needs to restart during the day.
When you have had a healthy breakfast filled with vitamins and nutrients, your ideal day is set. According to Canada’s food guide, it is recommended to include foods from at least three food groups in your breakfast to have a super healthy day.
When you have had a good meal in the morning, you do not feel like snacking in the middle of the meals. If you need to save early morning preparation time, go with easier options like milk and oatmeal, banana toast, other healthier breakfast recipes.
3. Healthy Snacking
When the mid-afternoon hunger strikes most of us go straight to the vending machine. Instead of binge eating the packed foods, replace it with a bowl of fruits and nuts. Healthy snacking is an important factor to maintain good health at the workplace.
Swapping unhealthy food like cookies and chips with a bag of almonds or Kale chips is so much better for your health. Avoiding these mid-day hunger pangs are inevitable. Stress and early morning tasks leave you drained during the middle of the day.
You are going to snack, so stash healthy snacks. Eating fruits and nuts provide the body with all the nutrients and vitamins along with the energy to sustain throughout the day without adding calories that leads to weight gain.
4. Keep on Moving To Maintain Good Health at the Workplace
The best way to stay healthy at work is to keep moving. Our work keeps us tied to our seats all through the day. This is one of the major causes of obesity. But there is an easy solution to build this healthy habit at the workplace.
- Rather than calling your coworker on the intercom, get up and walk to his/her seat.
- Use the stairs instead of elevators.
- Squeeze in some form of a workout during the small breaks.
- Stretch yourself with these yoga poses at your work desk.
A sedentary lifestyle can increase the risk of heart diseases and diabetes along with back pain. Take a 5-minute break to stand up and stretch. It relieves stress from the back and shoulders, neck and hips.
5. Pack a Lunch From Home
You are what you eat! So when you pack lunch from home, you are aware and in full control of what you are eating. But when you grab a bite from outside, you have no control over what ingredients and oil they are using. It takes some extra effort to pack your food for the work. But it’s all worth it!
Initially, you may sound and even look dorky by bringing a packed meal to work but the health benefits of this habit will make people follow suit. Besides, imagine how much you can save on expenses and become fitter.
6. Keep the Right Posture
Physical inactivity is one of the main reasons for many diseases these days. Our parents were right on the point when they kept reminding us to sit up straight and never crouch. Bad posture not only makes you look bad but also makes you look incompetent.
Above all, a poor posture is bad for your health. It affects your mood; less oxygen circulates in the blood and stresses your lungs.
To have good health at the workplace, maintain the right posture. Keep your system on eye level so that you could maintain your posture and turn more productive.
Thanks to yoga! Now you can do these yoga poses at your work desk. These poses help stretch your body and it a very good habit to cultivate if you have a desk job.
7. To Maintain Good Health at the Workplace, Take a Small Nap
The human brain cannot focus for more than 20 minutes. So don’t hesitate to take a short break of 15 to 30 minutes for a shut-eye in the middle of the day. Inform your habit of your colleagues and take permission from your boss if necessary.
Many successful people do take a small nap in the afternoon to refresh and rejuvenate. Just excuse yourself and move to a couch or a private room. Most offices have such relaxing spots for their employees to revive and become more productive.
8. Take a Deep Breath To Maintain Good Health at the Workplace
After a few hours practice some breathing pranayama and do meditation to help regulate blood flow and make you work harder.
Place green plants near your place and switch sight from your screen onto these plants then and there. You can easily do these even without leaving the work desk.
9. Surround Yourself With Positive People
When you surround yourself with positive people, you tend to be positive yourself. Positive vibes are perfect for your health. Keep on that smile and be positive to have good health at the workplace.
You must strive to create a friendly work environment. Avoid gossip and bias for your mental peace. This is the best and easiest wellness tip and idea for the workplace.
Once you exit the office, just don’t plug in your system at home. It helps you remain sane. Keep your office and personal life separate. Home is where you should spend time with the family and unwind.
- Health at the workplace is becoming a rising issue these days.
- By promoting healthy mental and physical health at the workplace, you are creating a safe workplace for your employees.
- The choices that you make throughout the day while at work are what matters.
- Make a list of all the workplace wellness ideas and follow them regularly.
- Hydrating ourselves is a great way to maintain your overall health.
- Moreover, it is recommended to include foods from at least three food groups in your breakfast to have a super healthy day.
- Swapping unhealthy food like cookies and chips with a bag of almonds or Kale chips is so much better for your health.
- Eating fruits and nuts provide the body with all the nutrients and vitamins along with the energy.
- Similarly, bringing a packed meal to work has many health benefits.
- Our work keeps us tied to our seats all through the day. Take a 5-minute break to stand up and stretch.
- It relieves stress from the back and shoulders, neck and hips.
- Bad posture not only makes you look bad but also makes you look incompetent.
- Keep your system on eye level so that you could maintain your posture and turn more productive.
- Also, don’t hesitate to take a short break of 15 to 30 minutes for a shut-eye in the middle of the day.
- Place green plants near your place and switch sight from your screen onto these plants often.
- Positive vibes and a friendly work environment are perfect for your health.
- Similarly, practice some breathing pranayama and do meditation to help regulate blood flow.
- Work-life balance is important. Thus, as soon as you come home, make it a habit to spend a good time with your family and friends.
- In conclusion, these wellness tips for the workplace help increase productivity and reduce illness.
These ways to build healthy habits at work can help you maintain a happy, healthy office life. These habits help increase productivity and reduce illness. When you are not upset or hungry, you tend to concentrate better and be a better, fitter version of you.
Have a happy, healthier workday!
I hope you enjoyed our wellness tips and ideas for the workplace. Do you follow any of these healthy habits at work? Let us know your wellness tips and ideas for the workplace in the comments section below.
For more updates, subscribe to us and stay tuned. You can also follow us on our social media channels.