Friday the 13th – 13 Facts About the Unluckiest Day in the Calendar (as believed by the western world)
Friday the 13th is considered to be the unluckiest day in the Gregorian Calendar. For many people, it is a day to take caution, stay indoors, avoid black cats, ladders and mirrors, and reach out for their good luck charms for protection.
Here are the 13 most worst things that happened on Friday the 13th.
13) By now, you would be well aware of the Paris attack on November 13th – the Firday. It was a deadly attack and considered as one of the most destructive in European attacks after 2004, killing more than 150 people in the heart of the city.
12) Pennsylvania resident Sean Adams found out he’d received his dream job at the Hershey factory on Friday 13 April 2013 within moments of falling down an abandoned well, where his body was found several weeks later.
11) While vacationing in the Cayman Islands on Friday 13 April 1988, a woman named Holly Poulin stumbled across a buried chest filled with pirate pornography.
10) Tawny Wetzel, a researcher investigating the correlation between Friday the 13th and emergency room visits, was attacked and killed by hornets on Friday 13 January 1977.
9) While touring an exhibition at the Virginia Museum of Fine Art on Friday 13 December 1995, Joshua Dudley received a phone call telling him he had inherited a $3m estate from a deceased uncle. His celebratory dance resulted in $4m in damages.
8) Due to an ill-timed sneeze on Friday 13 November 2015, a film editor in Los Angeles, California accidentally permanently deleted the middle third of Star Wars: The Force Awakens. But this could happen on any normal day, isn’t it?? 😛
7) While preparing a lecture on fatalism and external locus of control for his students on Friday 13 February 1993, psychology professor Claiborn Phillips was struck by lightning a record 13 times in row.
6) Walking home from work at a Starbucks in Connecticut on Friday 13 September 2011, Jennifer DeCarlo ducked into an alleyway to avoid the black cat that had darted across her path only to find herself face-to-face with the rabid dog the cat was fleeing.
5) On Friday 13 May 1980, a dangerous psychopath stalking a group of teenagers through an abandoned summer camp dramatically burst in on two young lovers only to realize too late that he’d left the house that morning wearing mismatched shoes.
4) In order to buy her husband a gold chain for his beloved pocket watch, Dana Hamilton of Rye, New York sold her luxurious hair to a local wigmaker. That evening, Friday 13 October 1972, she returned home to discover that her husband had sold his watch to buy a pearl necklace for his secretary, with whom he was having an affair.
3) On Friday 13 March 2014, bank robber Brendan O’Malley was caught by police after his getaway car sprung four simultaneous flat tires.
2) Racing to knock on a nearby wooden post on Friday 13 November 1912 in order to counteract having mentioned that it had been years since he’d had the flu, superstitious Chicagoan Joel Kabot stepped on a crack and broke his mother’s back.
1) In Texas, death row inmate Justin Bartlett was granted a reprieve on Wednesday 11 January 1992 just before he was due to be executed, but then he passed away two days later due to food poisoning incurred during his last meal.
Next Friday the 13th is on May 13, 2016. Be careful of what you that day. Its better to be at home doing nothing.
Do comment on this, if you had personal experiences on any of the Friday the 13th’s until now.