Perhaps we live in a world of infinite galaxies, trillion stars, billion meteoroid , million planets and what not. The list goes on, not even NASA scientists can complete it. Indeed the universe is really really really big. The most interesting part is to know how small Earth as a planet is, compared to other universal bodies. The story of physics has been one of an ever-expanding understanding of the sheer scale of reality, to the point where physicists are now postulating that there may be far more universes than just our own. Can you just imagine how small we are in this big world? Nevertheless Mars is among the most talked planet next to Earth, where we live in. This red planet has many interesting feature which will make you unfold the hidden things it holds. While NASA has been releasing information about water on Mars, raising questions in the minds of people, if life on Mars is plausible, we are still not sure how far does human life existence can be encouraged.
Here you go, enjoy the most interesting things about Mars and the discoveries mankind has made on it.
1) This is not the first discovery of water on Mars.
2) The findings, which include this newly released image of the water-carved walls of Garni crater, on the surface of Mars, have brought scientists one step closer to understanding the biochemical cycle on Earth’s nearest planetary neighbor.
3) Following is a look at half a century of discovery leading to NASA’s announcement earlier this week on 28th September 2015. (University of Arizona/JPL/NASA/Reuters)
In 1972, NASA released the first ever photographs of the surface of Mars. Mariner 9, the first spacecraft to orbit a neighbouring planet, revealed a collection of 7,000 photos of the planet’s surface, including this one of a dried up river. (JPL-Caltech/NASA)
4) The red planet is home to both the highest mountain and the deepest, longest valley in the solar system. is roughly 17 miles (27 kilometers) high, about three times as tall as Mount Everest, while the Valles Marineris system of valleys — named after the Mariner 9 probe that discovered it in 1971 — can go as deep as 6 miles (10 km) and runs east-west for roughly 2,500 miles (4,000 km), about one-fifth of the distance around Mars and close to the width of Australia.
5) A mission led by the European Space Agency uncovered massive perennial fields of ice water in Mars’s south pole. The ice was thought to be composed of only frozen carbon dioxide, but this image, released in January 2004, shows frozen H2O in covering the carbon dioxide blue in the frame. (FU Berlin/DLR/ESA/Reuters)
6) This extreme close up of Mars’s surface, taken by the Opportunity rover in 2004, shows finger-shaped indentations (formations like those found on parts of Earth’s surface that were once underwater) that led geologists to the belief that potentially life-supporting salt water was once present on the Red Planet. (US Geological Survey/JPL/NASA)
7) A team of scientists with NASA revealed that an ocean, shown in this artist’s rendering released in March 2015, would have covered one fifth of Mars’s surface three billion years ago, making conditions ideal for alien life. (GSFC/NASA)
8) This enhanced 2005 ESA image shows ice water in an unnamed crater. NASA revealed in March that about 13 per cent of Mars’s remaining water is locked in the planet’s polar caps. The other 87 per cent of the water that once flowed on the surface would have been lost to as-yet-unknown climate change, NASA says. (FU Berlin/DLR/ESA)
9) This photo, captured in January 2011, was NASA’s first glimpse at these dark, finger-like forms on the Red Planet’s surface. The shapes are only visible during the Martian summer when temperatures on the normally frigid surface can climb above 0 C, allowing water to flow downhill. (University of Arizona/JPL-Caltech/NASA/Reuters)
10) No methane, no life? In September 2013, NASA noted that the rover had not found a single trace of methane in the Martian atmosphere, decreasing the odds that there is life on Mars. Since living organisms, as we know them, produce methane, scientists had been trying to find the substance on the Red Planet, as proof that life might have once existed there. The hunt for methane continues.
11) NASA’s next mission is to solve the mystery of whether there is, or ever has been, life on Mars. In 2020, the space agency plans on launching a new rover, shown in this 2013 sketch, that will explore a specific region for signs of past life. (JPL-Caltech/NASA)
12) Mars has the largest volcanoes in the solar system, including Olympus Mons, which is about 370 miles (600 km) in diameter, wide enough to cover the entire state of New Mexico